Is the University for Continuing Education Krems a public or private university?

The University for Continuing Education Krems is one out of 22 Austrian public universities – organized according to the University Act and the Federal Law on the University for Continuing Education Krems.

What distinguishes the University for Continuing Education Krems from other Austrian universities?

The University for Continuing Education Krems is the leading public university for continuing education in Europe and the only public university for continuing education within the German-speaking countries. Consequently, it specializes in the higher qualification of working professionals and dedicates its teaching and research to current and future societal challenges. Our study model is oriented toward the specific requirements of adult learners in all phases of life and especially to the needs of working professionals. At the beginning of their studies more than half of the students have over ten years of work experience. Combining this expertise with the experience of our teaching staff a high-level knowledge and competence transfer is provided equally important to the studies, ahead of the curve, and developed by the University for Continuing Education Krems as one of its key strengths. The university holds the quality seal of the Agency for Quality Assurance and Accreditation Austria (AQ Austria) throughout combining ongoing innovation in research and teaching following highest quality standards.

What is a university course within continuing education?

In Austria, a university course is defined as an extraordinary course of studies pursuing the function of continuing education (University Act 2002 §51 20]). The University for Continuing Education offers a wide range of university courses, either completing as Master, “Academic Expert“ or “Certified Program“. Additionally, PhD programs can be taken as regular studies.

In which fields of study can university courses be taken?

The University for Continuing Education Krems offers university courses in the following areas:

  • Building and Environment
  • Education
  • Health and Medicine
  • Art and Culture
  • Media and Communication
  • Migration and International Affairs
  • Psychotherapy and Social Services
  • Law and Administration
  • Sensors & Digitalization
  • Economics and Business Management

In addition to the master's programs and short programs completing with the degrees "Academic Expert" or "Certified Programs", the University for Continuing Education Krems is currently conducting PhD studies in the following areas:

  • Regenerative Medicine
  • Migration Studies
  • Technology, Innovation, and Cohesive Societies

For a specific search for courses, please use the online course search.

The amendment to the Universities Act passed in 2021 will reorganize continuing education studies in Austria. Will the studies at the University for Continuing Education Krems change in the future due to the Austrian reform of higher education?

With the reform package of academic continuing education, which is to be implemented as of October 2023, academic continuing education in Austria is being reorganized. The framework conditions for continuing education studies in Austria will be standardized and adapted to the Bologna structure (Bachelor – Master – PhD). The equivalence of academic degrees enables permeability between regular and continuing education studies. In future, the completion of a bachelor‘s degree in academic continuing education will thus entitle the holder to admission to a (regular) master‘s degree program at another university. The reverse is also true: the completion of a bachelor‘s degree entitles the holder to admission to a master‘s degree program in continuing education. In addition, persons who have completed a master‘s degree in continuing education will in the future be entitled to enroll for a PhD program. 
At the University for Continuing Education Krems, studies in accordance with the new legal framework will be carried out starting with the winter semester 2023/2024.

What is a „Bachelor Professional“ (BPr)?

A Bachelor Professional (abbreviated BPr) is the academic degree awarded for a practice-oriented continuing education study program. The program is conducted in cooperation with extra-university educational institutions, with a focus on applied theory and transfer into practice based on academic quality standards. Admission to the program requires a relevant professional qualification or several years of relevant professional experience. Thus, the continuing education study program leading to the degree "Bachelor Professional" enables professionally experienced persons without a general university entrance qualification (Matura) to access academic further education. Information on admission requirements can be found on the respective study pages. Further information is available from the study directors and the Service Center for Students.

Comprising 180 ECTS credits, the Bachelor Professional is equivalent to other bachelor's degree programs and qualifies students for a continuing education master's degree program as well as for a regular master's degree program.  

The continuing education study program leading to the degree "Bachelor Professional" (BPr) is anchored in the Austrian University Act 2002 since the reform of academic continuing education 2021. The degree must be distinguished from the German title of the same wording: The German "BPr" is not an academic degree, but a professional title awarded by the Chambers of Crafts, Industry and Commerce of Germany. 

How does the reform in the area of continuing education affect the existing courses at the University for Continuing Education Krems?

The present requirements for students to enroll in a part-time master's program remain in effect until 30 September 2023. Students of the previous master's programs have to complete the university program within three times the duration of study specified in the curriculum or within the maximum duration of study specified in the curriculum, if applicable.

However, this only applies to master's programs; the admission requirements for study programs completing with the degree "Academic Expert" or "Certified Program" do not change. 

Please visit our info page for more information on the continuing education reform. In addition, the respective course directors will provide more detailed information. 

How are the master‘s degrees to be assessed?

Due to the University Act 2002 Austrian master’s degrees in continuing education are bestowed after completion of university courses (in addition to other types of courses). These courses are comparable with foreign master‘s courses in terms of entrance requirements, scope, and prerequisites. The master‘s degrees of continuing education are to be cited as fully-fledged academic degrees without restriction, yet are not identical with the master‘s degrees of regular studies, although some of them share the same wording.

What admission requirements must I consider in order to study at the University for Continuing Education Krems?

The University for Continuing Education Krems requires a completed degree at least ranking a Bachelor. However, with an equivalent professional qualification the option to enroll studies is given in many cases. If students are to be admitted to master‘s courses on the basis of “qualifications to be maintained at the same level“, i. e. without a formal Bachelor degree, but on the basis of competences acquired non-formally or informally in master‘s courses, the examination of entrance competences is carried out in accordance with the EQF/NQF descriptors for the bachelor‘s level (Federal Act on the National Qualifications Framework 2016, NQF Act). For this purpose, individual course-specific equivalence testing procedures are applied (e. g. pre-tests, competence maps, admission interviews, portfolios). Please search for the admission requirements in the respective course description.

Find general information on admission here.

Am I permitted to use the Master's degree of the Continuing Education by name?

In accordance with the University Act 2002 (§ 88) holders of a master‘s degree in continuing education are entitled to use the full title or abbreviated version (e. g. MA, MSc) after their names as well as the right to register the abbreviated form in official documents.

Load more
Back to top