1) The University diploma takes one year; I am fully employed. Is it still possible to inscribe into this University course?

yes, indeed this is possible. Teaching is blocked into four blocks throughout one year consisting of full day lectures from Thursday to Saturday. These days you must be available for following the lectures. Based also on the pandemic if you are unable to come to Austria for these periods of teaching the university offers blended learning and you may follow the courses online. All the exams with exemption of the final exam are offered online. Therefore, this University course is compatible with full employment in any part of Europe.

2) I am not living in Austria. Do I have to stay in Austria following this University course?

The University offers blended learning. Therefore, there is no need to live in Austria to follow this University course. The University of continuous Education has more than a decade of experience in offering international post-graduate University courses and this know-how is also applied to this University course.

3) I am already board certified. Can I still follow your university degree?

This University course offers specialized clinical knowledge on autonomic nervous system disorders not broadly available. It is offered to residents and specialists of all medical doctors’ disciplines.

4) I am a nurse practitioner; may I follow this University course?

We are sorry not to be able to in matriculate you in this course. this course is focused on students that have finished a medical University and hold a medical doctor’s degree.

FAQ by the University

Is the University for Continuing Education Krems a public or private university?

The University for Continuing Education Krems is one out of 22 Austrian public universities – organized according to the University Act and the Federal Law on the University for Continuing Education Krems.

What distinguishes the University for Continuing Education Krems from other Austrian universities?

The University for Continuing Education Krems is the leading public university for continuing education in Europe and the only public university for continuing education within the German-speaking countries. Consequently, it specializes in the higher qualification of working professionals and dedicates its teaching and research to current and future societal challenges. Our study model is oriented toward the specific requirements of adult learners in all phases of life and especially to the needs of working professionals. At the beginning of their studies more than half of the students have over ten years of work experience. Combining this expertise with the experience of our teaching staff a high-level knowledge and competence transfer is provided equally important to the studies, ahead of the curve, and developed by the University for Continuing Education Krems as one of its key strengths. The university holds the quality seal of the Agency for Quality Assurance and Accreditation Austria (AQ Austria) throughout combining ongoing innovation in research and teaching following highest quality standards.

What is a university course within continuing education?

In Austria, a university course is defined as an extraordinary course of studies pursuing the function of continuing education (University Act 2002 §51 20]). The University for Continuing Education offers a wide range of university courses, either completing as Master, “Academic Expert“ or “Certified Program“. Additionally, PhD programs can be taken as regular studies.

In which fields of study can university courses be taken?

The University for Continuing Education Krems offers university courses in the following areas:

  • Building and Environment
  • Education
  • Health and Medicine
  • Art and Culture
  • Media and Communication
  • Migration and International Affairs
  • Psychotherapy and Social Services
  • Law and Administration
  • Sensors & Digitalization
  • Economics and Business Management

In addition to the master's programs and short programs completing with the degrees "Academic Expert" or "Certified Programs", the University for Continuing Education Krems is currently conducting PhD studies in the following areas:

  • Regenerative Medicine
  • Migration Studies
  • Technology, Innovation, and Cohesive Societies

For a specific search for courses, please use the online course search.

How are the master‘s degrees to be assessed?

Due to the University Act 2002 Austrian master’s degrees in continuing education are bestowed after completion of university courses (in addition to other types of courses). These courses are comparable with foreign master‘s courses in terms of entrance requirements, scope, and prerequisites. The master‘s degrees of continuing education are to be cited as fully-fledged academic degrees without restriction, yet are not identical with the master‘s degrees of regular studies, although some of them share the same wording.

What admission requirements must I consider in order to study at the University for Continuing Education Krems?

The University for Continuing Education Krems requires a completed degree at least ranking a Bachelor. However, with an equivalent professional qualification the option to enroll studies is given in many cases. If students are to be admitted to master‘s courses on the basis of “qualifications to be maintained at the same level“, i. e. without a formal Bachelor degree, but on the basis of competences acquired non-formally or informally in master‘s courses, the examination of entrance competences is carried out in accordance with the EQF/NQF descriptors for the bachelor‘s level (Federal Act on the National Qualifications Framework 2016, NQF Act). For this purpose, individual course-specific equivalence testing procedures are applied (e. g. pre-tests, competence maps, admission interviews, portfolios). Please search for the admission requirements in the respective course description.

Find general information on admission here.

Am I permitted to use the Master's degree of the Continuing Education by name?

In accordance with the University Act 2002 (§ 88) holders of a master‘s degree in continuing education are entitled to use the full title or abbreviated version (e. g. MA, MSc) after their names as well as the right to register the abbreviated form in official documents.

Is the Master's degree recognized abroad (e. g. Germany)?

The Austrian master‘s degrees in university continuing education are conferred, i.a. after completion of university courses which are comparable in terms of access conditions, scope and requirements to corresponding foreign master‘s studies. Master‘s degrees from specialization studies analogous to university continuing education are established in some countries parallel with doctoral studies such as “Master Universitario“ in Italy; “Licentiat“ in Sweden; “Diplôme d‘ études approfondies“ in France [approximately equivalent], “Maestro“ in Spain. Concluded bilateral agreements regarding the entitlement to lead a master‘s degree abroad regulate the management of the acquired master‘s degree in the respective contract country; for instance between Austria and Germany. Due to these agreements graduates of the University for Continuing Education Krems are able to state the master‘s degree in other countries.

Further information is available from the Service Center for Students: www.donau-uni.ac.at/en/scs

Will credits from university courses be recognized for regular studies?

Credits from university courses can be recognized for regular studies (cf. University Act 2002). However, the decision-making authority in individual cases always lies with the recognizing university.

Does the University for Continuing Education Krems also carry out bachelor's degree courses?

The University for Continuing Education Krems currently does not offer any bachelor’s degree courses. Due to the University Act 2002 the university offers courses that can either be taken as a master‘s degree or “Academic Expert“ or “Certified Program“; besides PhD programs being optioned for attendance. Graduates of a bachelor course of studies or people having similar professional experiences available specialize, deepen, or update their knowledge by enrolling the mentioned university programs. As part of the implementation of the reform of academic continuing education, continuing education can be taken at the University for Continuing Education Krems, probably starting in the winter semester 2023/2024.

Load more
Back to top