Master of Science (Qualitätsmanagement)
Expert Program
Certified Program

Is Danube University Krems a public or private university?

Danube University Krems is one of the 22 Austrian public universities - organized according to the University Act and according to Federal Law on the University for Continuing Education Krems.


What distinguishes Danube University Krems from other Austrian universities?

Danube University Krems is the leading public university for continuing education in Europe and the only public university for continuing education within the German-speaking countries. Consequently it specializes in the higher qualification of working professionals and dedicates its teaching and research to current and future societal challenges.

Our study model is oriented toward the specific requirements of adult learners in all phases of life and especially to the needs of working professionals. At the beginning of their studies more than half of the enrolled students take with over ten years of work experience. Combining this expertise with the experience of our teaching staff a high level knowledge and competence transfer is provided equally important to studies, which are ahead of their time, developed by Danube University Krems as one of its key strengths. The university holds the quality seal of the Agency for Quality Assurance and Accreditation Austria (AQ-Austria) throughout mixing ongoing innovation in research and teaching following highest quality standards.

What is a university course within continuing education?

A university course is defined as an extraordinary course of studies pursuing the function of continuing education (University Law 2002 §51 (20)). Danube University Krems offers a wide range of university courses, either completing as Master, "Academic Expert" or "Certified Programs". Additionally two PhD programs can be enrolled for as regular studies.

Which university course can I chose?

Danube University Krems provides a wide range of university-based courses set in the beneath-mentioned fields:

  • Building and Environment
  • Education
  • Health and Medicine
  • Arts and Culture
  • Media and Communication
  • Migration and International Affairs
  • Psychotherapy and Social Services
  • Law and Administration
  • Economics and Business Management

Next to the Master's and short programs completing as "Academic Expert" or "Certified Programs" Danube University Krems furthermore offers two PhD programs within the areas:

  • Regenerative Medicine
  • Migration Studies

In order to find a specific program please browse our wide range of courses

Are the Master's degrees qualified?

Due to the University Law 2002 Austrian Master's degrees in continuing education are issued after completion of university courses (in addition to other types of courses). These courses are comparable with foreign Master's courses in respect of entrance requirements, scope, and prerequisites. The Master's degrees of continuing education are to be cited as fully-fledged academic degrees without restriction, yet are not identical with the Master's degrees of regular studies, although some of them share the same wording.

What admission requirements must I consider in order to study at Danube University Krems?

Since being a university for continuing education Danube University Krems requires a completed degree at least ranking a Bachelor. However, with an equivalent professional qualification the option to enroll studies is given in many cases. If students are to be admitted to Master's courses on the basis of "qualifications that are to be maintained at the same level", i. e. without a formal Bachelor's degree, but on the basis of competences acquired non-formally or informally in Master's courses, the examination of entrance competences is carried out in accordance with the EQF/NQF descriptors for the Bachelor's level (Federal Act on the National Qualifications Framework 2016, NQF Act). For this purpose individual course-specific equivalence testing procedures are applied (e. g. pre-tests, competence maps, admission interviews, portfolios). Please search for the admission requirements in the respective course descriptions.

Find general information on admission here

Am I permitted to use the Master's degree of the Continuing Education by name?

In accordance with the University Law 2002 (§ 88) holders of a Master's degree in continuing education are entitled to use the full title or abbreviated version (e. g. MA, MSc) after their names as well as the right to register the abbreviated form in official documents.

Is the Master's degree recognized abroad (e. g. Germany)?

The Austrian Master's degrees in university continuing education are conferred, inter alia, after completion of university courses which are comparable in terms of access conditions, scope and requirements to corresponding foreign Master's studies.

Master's degrees from specialization studies analogous to university continuing education are in some countries established in parallel with doctoral studies such as "Master Universitario" in Italy; "Licentiat" in Sweden; "Diplôme d' études approfondies" in France [approximately equivalent], "Maestro" in Spain.

Bilateral agreements have been concluded regarding the entitlement to lead a Master's degree abroad, which regulate the management of the acquired Master's degree in the respective contract country; for instance between Austria and Germany. Due to these agreements graduates of Danube University Krems are able to state the master's degree in other countries.

Further information is available from the AcademicServiceCenter

Are university courses achievements recognized for regular studies?

Completed university courses are recognized for regular studies (University Law 2002 § 78) whereas the decision-making authority rests case-by-case with the university recognizing.

Does the Danube University Krems also carry out basic studies/bachelor's degree courses?

Being institutionalized as a university for continuing education Danube University Krems does not offer any basic studies. The university offers courses that can either be taken as a master's degree or "Academic Expert" or "Certified Programs"; besides two PhD-studies being optioned for attendance. Graduates of a basic course of studies or people having similar professional experiences available specialize, deepen or update their knowledge by enrolling the mentioned university programs.

Load more
Back to top


To Glossary

This website uses cookies to improve your user experience and for analytical purposes for optimizing our systems, as well Google Maps for the use of depicting maps. By clicking on „OK" or continuing to browse the site, you are agreeing to the use of cookies and Google Maps. More information concerning privacy policy and data protection official.