University for Continuing Education Krems
The University for Continuing Education Krems specializes in part-time academic continuing education. As a public university for continuing education, it works with its expertise in teaching and research to overcome societal challenges and tailors its study programs to address them. With 8,000 students coming from 85 countries, the University for Continuing Education Krems combines its many years of experience in university-based continuing education with innovation to provide outstanding quality in research and teaching at an international level. Situated 60 km from Vienna in the alluring world heritage region Wachau, Campus Krems is a highly attractive location.
The following position is available to strengthen our team of the Department for Migration and Globalisation at the Faculty of Business and Globalisation:
Research Fellow (PhD Student) (m/f/d) 30 hrs./week Advertisement No. SB23-0044
The advertised position is part of the new HORIZON EUROPE project FAiR (Finding Agreement in Return). FAiR focuses on return migration and policy and aims to address the legitimacy deficits affecting return policies and alternatives to return. FAiR complements the prevailing rational choice perspective by systematically examining the importance of norms, frameworks, and shared meanings for intergovernmental cooperation on return. The UWK is responsible, among other things, for a work package that examines the impact of the determinants of forced return and estimates migration responses to (non)enforcement of return. The PhD candidate will contribute to the UWK tasks of the project and conduct a PhD project that relates to and uses the data of the project.
• Interdisciplinary research and research assistance in the FAiR project
• Publishing research findings in international, peer-reviewed scientific journals
• Engaging in international research collaboration
• Pursuing and submitting a cumulative PhD dissertation in Migration Studies within three years
• University Master’s degree in the fields of political sciences, economics, sociology, geography, population studies or related discipline is required.
• Interest and strong skills in using quantitative research methods (incl. familiarity with R or Stata) are required
• Good knowledge and skills in writing scientific papers
• Experience in migration-related research is desirable
• Ability to work in an interdisciplinary team of social scientists; Previous experience in trans- and disciplinary settings is desirable
• Excellent English skills (min. C1) required
• Part-time position (30 hours/week,) initially limited to 3 years, with a minimum salary of EUR 3.277,30 gross per month on a full-time basis (classification as a scientific project staff member according to collective agreement of universities §49 VwGr. B1)
• Innovative and modern working environment at the Campus Krems
• Possibility of home office and mobile working (max. 42% of working hours)
• Very good opportunities for further education within the framework of our own study programs, extensive offer of workplace health promotion as well as the University Sports Institute (USI), own childcare facility "Campus Kids" (further information regarding registration and available childcare places as well as FAQs at: Campus Kids - University for Continuing Education Krems).
Persons with disabilities who meet the required profile criteria are expressly invited to apply for this position. The University of Continuing Education Krems sees high innovation potential in the diversity of its employees and is committed to diversity as a guiding principle.
Interested? We look forward to receiving your online application by 27 June 2023 via our online tool: https://www.donau-uni.ac.at/vacancies
Your application should include:
- Cover letter (max. two pages)
- Curriculum Vitae
- Degrees and transcript
- Two writing samples (ideally showing evidence of quantitative-statistical analyses, e.g., Master thesis, assignment, article