„Accessibility is an essential prerequisite to provide equal opportunities for people with disabilities. The unrestricted access to services, facilities and objects is the only way to enable self-determined participation in society.“
(Federal Ministry Republic of Austria, Social Affairs, Health, Care and Consumer Protection)
It is important to us to ensure equal opportunities for students with disabilities and/or chronic illnesses.
Based on its legal mandate, Danube University Krems is committed to create framework conditions that enable equal participation in all aspects of study, teaching and research. At the same time, we counteract social prejudices through information, networking and cooperation.
- Students with disabilities and/or chronic illnesses are supported individually by the Academic Service Center’s point “Accessible studying”, the departments and the Facility Management.
- As the entire university is accessible, people with physical impairments can complete their studies on-campus in Krems.
- The course directors or the disabilities officer are the direct contact persons who can be approached by disabled students during their studies.
- Specially designed courses (e.g. block courses, e-learning) meet the needs accessible studying demands and generally includes a high degree of individual support.
Persons who experience a restriction in their studies due to
- Physical or motor impairments (e.g. locomotor system)
- Sensory impairments (e.g. hearing, visual, speech impairments)
- Mental illness (e.g. depression, burn-out)
- Chronic diseases (e.g. diabetes, crohn's disease)
- Autism spectrum condition, ASD
- Reading and/or spelling difficulties (e.g. dyslexia, dyscalculia)
- or as the case may be
The disabilities officer informs and supports students with disabilities and/or chronic diseases before and during their studies at Danube University Krems. Students with disabilities or chronic illnesses are provided with:
- Counselling and information in all matters
- Information on funding options and legal framework conditions
- Individual support in coping with day-to-day challenges which occur during the studies
- Individual solutions regarding the study and workplace situation
- Support in organising deviating audit methods
- Support in organising working aids or technical devices
- General guidance and assistance in coping with structural barriers on-campus
- Arrangements for counselling in facilities and personal assistance
I am happy to inform you about our special services and possibilities by phone or in person, and can advise anonymously, if you wish!