Compensation for disadvantages
Compensating due to reasons of impairment is an important instrument to achieve equal opportunities and avoid discrimination.
They compensate for individual and situational disadvantages caused by an impairment.
You can receive compensation during your studies for i.a.:
- Deviating audit methods
- Work implements or technical aids
- Study and communication assistance
- Literature and learning materials
- Appropriate arrangements in courses
Compensations are always assessed individually in relation to the situation, and not given generally.
- We recommend that you apply for compensation as early as possible (2 weeks at the latest).
- If the head of studies has officially approved the compensation, there is a legal entitlement to it.
- Compensation will not be noted on academic certificates, grade sheets, transcripts, etc.
Deviating audit methods
According to § 59 paragraph 1 number 12 Austrian University Act, students suffering from long-term disabilities have the right of deviating examination methods if the examination cannot be taken using the prescribed method due to the disability, and the content and requirements of the examinations are not affected by a deviating method.
Therefore, exams requiring the same content and performance are possible, yet taken in a different mode. A number of tried and tested compensations are listed below. In individual cases, however, other measures may be necessary.
- Extended examination and preparation times
- Extension of the processing time by actual break times
- Tests carried out in separate rooms supervised by our staff
- Extended deadlines for submission of term papers and final papers
- Differing examination form (e.g. oral instead of written, term paper instead of examination)
- Using technical aids and providing personal assistance (PAA)
- Availability of adapted test documents (e.g. large print)
Please contact your course director or the disabilities officer as early as possible (no later than 8 weeks before the exam) to discuss the required modification of your exam.
The disabilities officer is here to support you during this process and will also be happy to take over some of the organizational tasks, as well as offer strictly confidential advice.
Leave of absence from studies
I am happy to inform you about our special services and possibilities by phone or in person, and can advise anonymously, if you wish!