Students can take leave of absence from studies for a number of reasons. The leave of absence must be determined by the governing body responsible for student matters by means of a notification.
For the duration of the leave of absence, admission to studies remains effective but the continuation is not registered. As a leave of absence also has negative consequences, this step should be considered well.
- What reasons are there for a leave of absence?
- When can you apply or withdraw your application?
- What do you need to consider?
- How do you find out if your application has been approved?
- How do you receive your student leaflet?
What reasons are there for a leave of absence?
A student can take a leave of absence for the following reasons:
- Pregnancy (Proof: doctor´s notice or copy of mother-child-pass)
- Caring for one´s children (Proof: copy of birth certificate and residential registration form)
- Voluntary social year, volunteer work, Military or civil service (Proof: confirmation by the agency, copy by the military command, the civil service agency)
- Longer lasting illness (Proof: doctor´s notice)
- Duties of care for relatives or another person close to me (Proof: doctor´s notice or confirmation by the mobile care facility)
- Professional incompatibility (verifiable reason why studies at this point in time are not compatible with the job for one or two semesters as until now):
The statutes of Danube University Krems also foresee the possibility of a leave of absence for important reasons.
When can you apply or withdraw the application?
For the reasons indicated above you can suspend your studies for one or more semesters.
The suspension of study application at the Danube University must be submitted until the start of the respective semester (winter semester: October 1, summer semester: March 1).
You need the following documents:
- The application for leave of absence - you will find in your student account
- The respective proofs
Send the application form including the confirmation to be attached by mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
You can withdraw your application until the end of the period of grace of the semester from that on the leave of absence is supposed to be effective (winter semester: November 30, summer semester: April 30)
What do you need to consider?
- The ÖH fee must be paid in due time for each semester of leave. You do not have to pay the participation fees if the application is granted.
- The leave of absence is only valid at the university the application was made to. You have to make a separate application to each university you study at, if you wish to take a leave of absence at the same time. It is also possible to be on leave of absence from only one university.
- Leave of absence is not possible for the current semester if you have already been admitted for that semester (i.e. notice of continuation has already taken place).
- In semesters when you are on leave of absence you are not permitted to attend lectures or hand in papers for assessment.
- You are not permitted to take any examinations.
- Admission remains effective, are still permitted to use the DUK Online Account Services and the library.
- You will only receive the student leaflet, but not the semester ticket nor confirmation of studies.
- It is not possible to take leave of absence in the first semester.
- You are not entitled to leave of absence by law.