Since 1992, the Department has been the first address in Austria for postgraduate Master's courses and continuing education programs in the fields of law and international relations. The Department's University courses, which are offered by the Department’s four Subject Areas (Vorschlag GL: sections) and the IPMI-Center, combine theory and practice at the highest academic level.
The Department is home to the broadest range of postgraduate courses in law in Austria which complete with the following academic degrees:
- LL.M. ("Master of Laws")
- MBA ("Master of Business Administration")
- MLS ("Master of Legal Studies")
- MA ("Master of Arts")
- AE ("Academic Expert")
In addition, "Certified Programs" (CP) give students the opportunity to acquire a university certificate in selected fields in about 4 to 6 modules (1-2 semesters).
As part of the "Extended University", selected courses of individual programs can be booked separately.
Study and COVID-19: Our courses take place despite COVID-19 measures!
The Department of Law and International Relations faced the current situation in a constructive way and saw it as an opportunity to gain additional learning effects through digital forms of learning and teaching. Since legal measures were imposed in order to contain the spread of COVID-19, nearly all on-campus courses were moved online using modern conference software with full ECTS valence and quality. Danube University Krems' many years of experience and expertise in innovative blended learning formats proved to be a valuable asset during this process - the students' feedback has been excellent. In accordance with the legal requirements, it is planned to get back to the usual on-campus operations as of winter semester 2020 starts. Whatever the coming months may bring: The department either way can ensure full online course operation, if necessary, providing the same opportunities for interaction and discussion with lecturers as with physical presence.
You can apply for allowance of individual courses as training seminar half days at the committee of the bar association of Lower Austria (RAK NÖ).
If the legal requirements are met, the course fees are tax deductible.
The course offer comprises the following programs:
General Legal Competencies
Arbitration and Dispute Resolution
Civil, Corporate and Company Law; Banking and Capital Market Law
Criminal Law and Criminology
Labor and Personnel Law
Intellectual Property and Data Protection
You have an expert interest in individual lectures and special topics of our programs, but do not want to or cannot attend the entire course? Our "Extended University" gives you the opportunity - depending on availability - to attend individual modules or courses for which you will obtain a certificate of attendance.
€ 249, 00 per lecture day
Graduates of the Department and members of the alumni club receive a 20% discount.
Please contact us for information on the “Extended University” and registration with a short letter of motivation:
Phone: +43 (0)2732 893-2401
Danube University Krems
Department for Legal Studies and International Relations
3500 Krems an der Donau
What makes us different
10 reasons for choosing a continuing education course at the Department of Law and International Relations
1. Most experience, broadest range. Our experience is far reaching and in terms of time the longest in the field of continuing education in Austria. Concerning legal programs our university courses cover the broadest range of topics.
2. Free-of-charge-update for our graduates. As continuing education is an ongoing process and knowledge has an ever shorter half-life period: Our students are offered an "update day" free of charge annually – as long as the course is offered - to remain updated on the latest developments in the respective subject.
3. Focus on compatibility of work and family life. Courses are mainly scheduled on weekends (Friday to Sunday) and offered blocked. This means that classes take place once or twice a month, which makes studying compatible with work and family life. As a pilot project Childcare facilities are offered by the ÖH (Danube University's Students' Union).
4. Student-centered thinking. Studying in Krems means to learn in small groups and being supported individually. We support our students especially in the process of writing the Master's thesis. If needed, a writing workshop personal coaching is offered). No matter what your concerns are, our doors are open.
5. Research-guided teaching. Our research is conducted on an interdisciplinary basis. Our teaching content is based on the latest scientific findings and our research.
6. Excellent student service. All the teaching materials needed are made available to our students electronically.
7. Extensive alumni network. The university operates an extensive alumni network throughout Europe: After completing the courses, our students will not only stay in contact with their fellow students, but will also be able to get in touch with graduates of other study programs throughout the university and benefit from many events.
8. Optional Blended Learning. Relevant for some study programs, innovative blended learning units are available for the preparation in basic subjects.
9. Basic crediting as continuing education. For certain professional groups, some courses are partly creditable as continuing education courses; we will be happy to advise you.
10. Studying on the most beautiful campus in Austria. Located at the gateway to the region Wachau the campus not only lures with impressive architecture amid numerous green spaces, but also offers several restaurants, a hotel, an art house cinema and sports facilities ("Campus Sport") - embedded in one of the most picturesque cultural landscapes of Austria.