The European Union's Response to the Refugee situation in Afghanistan: What role for the EU Pact on Migration and the UN Global Compact on Refugees?
WHEN: September 17, 13.00 CET
This webinar aims to examine the main policy responses of the European Union to the challenges experienced by refugees and people looking for international protection from Afghanistan.
The event will interrogate the EU’s role and the kinds of contributions that can be expected in light of the proposals outlined by the EU Pact on Migration and Asylum, as well as current responses from EU Member States and Ministries of Interior.
The discussion will also assess to what extent the Union’s current response has reflected the call for international solidarity and other political commitments for facilitating legal pathways for refugees as envisaged in the UN Global Compact on Refugees and the next UN Global Refugee Forum.
- Juan Fernando Lopez Aguilar, MEP, European Parliament
- Madeline Garlick, UNHCR
- Cecilia Vejby Andersen, DRC
- Tamas Molnar, FRA
- Eleonora Milazzo, Research Associate, EUSOL , King’s College London
- Shaddin Almasri, PhD Candidate, Danube University Krems
- Valentina Marconi, PhD Candidate, University of Urbino Carlo Bo
- Prof. Andrew Geddes, Director, MPC, EUI
- Sergio Carrera, Senior Research Fellow and Head of Justice and Home Affairs unit, CEPS
Shaddin Almasri, MSc